Friday, August 1, 2014

Blueberry Banana Smoothie

I spent great chunks of my childhood summers in Cherryfield, Maine, the blueberry capital of the world. My grandparents had some blueberry barrens; in their high school years, my mother and her cousin worked at the Wyman's factory, picking the sticks and bugs out of the harvested fruit. My mother was even the Maine Blueberry Queen of 1950!

Wyman's is still there, and they process all sorts of fruit - dried, canned, or frozen. That's great for winter, but in August, there's no shortage of fresh blueberries anywhere in Maine. Fresh berries make everything better! Think of pancakes; and then think of blueberry pancakes. See what I mean?

In the summer heat, there's no better way to enjoy blueberries than a cold smoothie. Banana makes it thick and creamy, ice makes it frosty-cool.

Fresh Maine Blueberry Smoothie

1 cup blueberries
1 banana, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 cup orange juice
2 ice cubes

Place all in blender and pulse-blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately, Makes enough for two.
Want to pick your own? Check out picking farms here.

No comments:

Post a Comment